Building & Signs

About the Department

The Code Enforcement Department ensures that new and remodel construction of residential and commercial buildings complies with the adopted building codes through plan review and on-site inspections.


Building Permits

The City requires building permits for:

  • All New Construction (Including Accessory Buildings and Structures)
  • Changes of Use
  • Roofing
  • Siding
  • Replacement Windows
  • Fencing & Snow Fencing
  • Remodeling Involving Structural Changes

The information required to apply for a building permit includes:

  • Building Plans
  • Estimated Cost of the Project
  • Plot Plans

Penalties are assessed on work started or completed without a building permit. If a structure is proposed to be moved to another location within the City, a permit is also required.

Building Codes

The City of Vermillion enforces the following codes:

  • 2018 International Building Code
  • 2018 International Residential Code
  • 2018 International Mechanical Code
  • 2018 International Property Maintenance Code
  • The Uniform Plumbing Code as adopted by the State of South Dakota
  • The National Electric Code as adopted by the State of South Dakota

Permits and inspections for plumbing and electrical work are issued by the South Dakota  Plumbing Commission and South Dakota Electrical Commission.

Demolition (Razing)

The City of Vermillion requires a building permit for demolishing existing structures. The Code Enforcement Department will look at how the proposed project will impact the neighborhood and recommend precautions to protect the health and safety of the community.


Chapter 152 of the City of Vermillion Ordinances outlines regulations for the placement of signage throughout the community. The Code Enforcement Department ensures that all signs meet the height and area requirements where permitted. A flat fee of $30 must be paid to obtain a permit.

Permit Applications

Applications listed in this section submit directly to City Staff via the website. If you have questions regarding your submission, please contact our office. 
Building Permit Application
Roofing Permit Application
Siding Permit Application
Window Permit Application