"To provide library services to all people in the Vermillion area: individuals and groups of every age, economic level, occupation, ethnic origin, philosophy, and human condition."
The purpose of the library is to maintain a current collection of print and non-print materials in all areas:
Establishment & Funding
The Vermillion Public Library started on January 13, 1902, when about 100 people met at the Masonic Hall to establish a public library. In 1903, funds in the sum of $10,000 were appropriated from Andrew Carnegie, and the building began to materialize. The library has since been supported by the City of Vermillion, with contributions from Clay County. In 1978 a new library building was built adjacent to the original one.
Renovation & Expansion
In early 2010, an effort began to renovate and expand the square footage of the library. The project was completed in April 2013 and included adding 11,110 square feet of space between a first floor and basement addition immediately north of the current building. An additional 780 square feet of space was be added on the south end where the Children's area is housed. The community room was expanded, while a youth room and computer room were added. A second meeting room was added in the corner of the addition. The new library was renamed the Edith B. Siegrist Vermillion Public Library.