Plats & Development Procedures

A plat is a map, drawn to scale, that represents a tract of land, showing the boundaries and location of individual properties, streets, easements and other pertinent information. It serves as a guide to a tract of land that has been created by licensed surveyors.  After a plat is approved by the Planning and Zoning Commission, it is filed with the Clay County Assessor (Director of Equalization) and becomes a legal lot of record for which a building permit can be issued.


When is a plat required? 

  • When land is being subdivided

(City of Vermillion Code of Ordinances; Chapter 154; Section 154.02, (A))

What type of plat do you need, a "Minor Plat" or a "Major Plat?"

  • You will need a "Minor Plat" if:   
    • the proposed lot(s) front an already dedicated right-of-way; and
    • the proposed lot(s) are to be platted is 3-acres or less.

(City of Vermillion Code of Ordinances; Chapter 154; Section 154.02, (C), (1)) 

  • You will need a "Major Plat" if: 
    • the right-of-way fronting the proposed lot(s) will need to be dedicated; or
    • the proposed area to be platted is larger than 3-acres.

(City of Vermillion Code of Ordinances; Chapter 154; Section 154.02, (C), (2)) 

When is a replat required? 

  • A replat is required when: 
    • an existing lot will be further subdivided; or
    • a proposed building will cross an existing lot line (regardless of ownership of lots); or
    • if the lot can be split into two or more usable lots; or
    • a building permit is required for construction on a parcel that has been purchased by legal description, but not properly platted; or
    • the description given for the lots on a building permit application show the property lines to be different from the platted lot lines. 

(City of Vermillion Code of Ordinances; Chapter 154; Section 157.07, (A))

If a replat is required, do you need a "Minor Plat" or a "Major Plat?"

  • You will need a "Minor Plat" if: 
    • the proposed plat contains 5 lots or fewer; and
    • the proposed lots front and existing right-of-way; and
    • the area to be replatted is 3-acres or less. 

If this criteria cannot be met, a "Major Plat" is required.

(City of Vermillion Code of Ordinances; Chapter 154; Section 154.02 (C), (3))


What are development plans?

  • These are the documents that are required by a contractor to develop the land and construct a building. They include information regarding the proposed grading of the parcel, provide finished floor elevations, note how the utilities will be installed, and if necessary, include a drainage study.

Why do you need development plans?

  • information for you contractor to construct development; and 
  • ensures that proposed building(s) will properly fit within area being developed; and
  • ensures that proposed grading will not negatively impact neighbors; and
  • ensures that proposed drainage will not affect the area; and
  • ensures that all utility connections are planned for and constructed properly; and
  • ensures that adequate accessible off-street parking and access to the property is available upon completion of the project; and
  • if they are followed during construction, they will greatly reduce the chances of constructing something that will negatively affect the neighborhood.

When are development plans required for private development? 

  • You will need plans when constructing one of the following:
    • a multi-family building of 4 units or larger; or
    • 4 townhomes or more; or
    • a residential development of 4 detached houses or larger; or
    • any commercial construction; or
    • any industrial construction.

Who is responsible for the final project and any future issues? 

  • Although the City reviews development plans and approves them, the developer is still responsible for the final construction of the project. The developer needs to ensure that the neighbors, or users, will not be negatively impacted by the project (i.e. grading, drainage, off-street parking, ADA accessibility, snow removal, etc.).
  • The City will inspect utility connections to the City's system and any items built in the public right-of-way. All other items are the responsibility of the developer.