How do I dispute a parking ticket?

Formally disputing a parking ticket is a two step process: 

  • First, you must come to the Police Department to have a court date set for you to appear before the Magistrate. 
  • Next, to schedule a court date for this purpose, the Clerk of Courts requires that all court fees must be paid in advance, as a bond. 

The fees, which are approximately $40, must be paid directly to the Clerk of Courts office, which is located in the Clay County Courthouse. Should the Magistrate find you innocent, all court fees will be refunded by that office. However, if the Magistrate finds you guilty of the infraction, the court fees will be applied and the parking ticket fee also becomes due.

Show All Answers

1. How do I get a copy of a police report?
2. Where would I find the parking regulations for the City?
3. Do you take credit cards to pay for any charges with the Police Department?
4. How do I dispute a parking ticket?
5. My car was towed and is in an impound lot, how do I get it out?
6. Is finger printing available at the Police Department?
7. Do I need to schedule a specific time for finger printing?
8. What is the cost to get fingerprinted?
9. Does the City of Vermillion have a lost and found?
10. Where can I pay a parking ticket?
11. What are the road conditions?
12. Where and when can I get a driver’s license?
13. Why do dispatchers ask so many questions?